Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Conclusion


My favorite types of art that I enjoyed studying were the ones from the Ancient Greece and Roman eras. I find that their use of marbles and creating statues of people are really spot on and inspiring. I feel those places are so rich in culture and history that their art in which it’s originating from has so much to say and there is so much to learn from. I have been to Italy before and seen the Statue of David; ever since I have been there all the sculptures and statues of all of the famous figures always fascinated me. Also, I have wanted to travel to Greece ever since I was a small child. I find that the inspiration is endless in Greece, some place where all people can admire the history itself. I will say that the history is what intrigues me most about Ancient Greece and Roman art. The rich society and how historically impactful the locations are really encouraged me to dive deeper into studying the art and culture.
In Ancient Greece, I find that the depictions of people on vases are exaggerated and stylized; something that I find to be greatly appreciated is the detail in which the artists partake. I especially enjoyed the “Achilles and Ajax Playing a Game.” The exaggerated faces, the super buff body image and the black and gold paint for the piece really brings out that stylized look for the vase. I also like the fact that each interpretation of these people is godly and superior. They stuck to their beliefs and used them to create masterpieces that everyone worldwide will get to enjoy.
For the Roman art, my favorite piece would have to be the architectural wonder of the Flavian Amphitheater, or the Colosseum that we know it to be. Its greatest feat would be the sheer size, and the history of it really amazes me in so many different levels. Other great pieces I enjoyed were the busts of the Young and Old Flavian women. The detail in the hair from the Young Woman and the exaggerated facial features of the Old Woman was just phenomenal. It really shows the great patience and skill it takes to recreate the human face.
I am really glad that I took this class; I feel that I learned so much more about my favorite types of art, the pieces of art that came out of my favorite periods and all the new things I learned along the way. I hope to learn more as I read farther into the book, discovering new things that just might intrigue me more.

4 comments:

  1. I am envious of your experience in Italy and can see why ancient Greece and Roman art would be your favorite to learn about in this class. I also agree that the marble pieces that were produced are inspiring as well as very beautiful. I can't imagine how much dedication and attention to detail someone would need to have to create something like that. The other pieces you mentioned like the Colosseum are incredible also. I really like how you connected what we have learned to your interpretation of the pieces you have seen in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see how your experience with Michelangelo's "David" prompted you to have an interested in statues (particularly classical statues, like those of the Greeks and Romans). The Renaissance (the period in which Michelangelo lived) was a time that experienced a "rebirth" of classical knowledge and thought. Michelangelo was interested in creating idealized statues that glorified the human body, very similar to what is found in Greek and Roman art.

    I'm happy that you enjoyed this class! I enjoyed having you as a student.

    -Prof. Bowen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too traveled to Italy and saw the Statue of David, and I would have to say that it was just amazing to see this historical representation. I read about him in my European class in high school, so it was just a special experience. It became so surreal and I got a sense of the realism of these statues of Roman art, as if they are becoming alive. Do you get this sense when studying art, and did you feel the same or different then I did when seeing the Statue of David?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you, after learning so much history about these periods, it really makes you want to visit the sites in person. I've always also wanted to go greece, and now after studying the Romans and Greeks, it is now one of my goals! The Flavian amphitheater was really interesting to learn about, History makes the art better, and that place has history!

    ReplyDelete